The Prague Marriott also launched the 'Green Events' initiative in 2009 applying the principles of 'reduce,' 'reuse' and 'recycle' to all events and meetings in an effort to maintain a greener planet.
Accepting social responsibility to protect the environment as an essential part of doing business; one of the premier hotels in Prague City Centre is leading the way in creating initiatives to preserve natural resources.
Stepping out more than four years ago to become the first among hotels in Prague to utilize green energy, 50 percent of the energy used at this impressive lodging now comes from renewable resources. In another bold move, the hotel brought energy performance contracting to the hotel sector that not only netted the property an annual savings of nearly 427 tons of CO2 emissions but earned recognition as the "Best European Energy Service Project" in the lighting sector. In the summer of 2009 this distinctive choice among Prague hotels near Old Town Square joined the Veolia Project with their "fresh water from the tap" initiative to help reduce the enormous amount of waste from using plastic and glass bottles.
Following the brand's pioneering spirit for sustainable hotel management, the Prague Marriott also launched the "Green Events" initiative in 2009 applying the principles of "reduce," "reuse" and "recycle" to all events and meetings in an effort to maintain a greener planet. By supporting eco-friendly programs the hotel is assisting guests and event planners to reduce their environmental impact by utilizing:
- Environmentally friendly materials, facilities and table decorations.
- Everything electronic - paperless quotes and invoices, plus display boards.
- Online event planning and menus.
- Recycled/recyclable or Forest Stewardship Council paper/whiteboards instead of flipcharts.
- Pens made from recycled material, biodegradable.
- Drinks in environmentally friendly bottles or carafes.
- Local and seasonal products, including organic and fair trade products.
- Recycling of waste in the events area.
- Less table linen.
- Snacks and coffee breaks free of packaging.
- The opportunity to offset CO2 through the "Juma Amazonas Rainforest Project."
Other practices initiated by the Prague Marriott include:
- Installation of a kitchen block, using induction units and saving up to 80 percent of gas and electricity.
- Installation of technology to reduce water consumption by 40 percent without decreasing the comfort level of guests.
- Utilize suppliers of cleaning products that apply responsible care principles in product development, technical operations and service processes.
- Use of recycling bins for separating hotel waste.
- Use of Forest Stewardship Council paper products where possible.
- Linen reuse program that allows guests to choose whether or not to have their linens replaced daily.
- Installation of halogen bulbs in all corridors and energy saving bulbs in all guest rooms, saving up to 80 percent in energy usage.
In addition to these steps, the Prague Marriott also participates in the annual Earth Hour, joining Marriott hotels and resorts world-wide in turning out the lights for one hour.Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.