Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH) continues to grow its system size with the announcement of 76 newly opened franchised properties during the third quarter of 2012. Additionally, the company has executed a total of 89 new domestic contracts within the third quarter of 2012, a 13 percent increase over the same period of the prior year.
The openings include hotels in 26 states and seven countries including Australia, Canada, France, Lithuania, Mexico, New Zealand, and Switzerland, adding more than 5,900 guestrooms to the company’s existing 495,000-plus rooms. Year-to-date, the company has opened a total of 211 hotels and 256 new hotels in 2011. The Choice Hotels portfolio of franchised hotels offers business and leisure travelers a full spectrum from premium economy to luxury hotels.
“We are extremely pleased with the positive response our wide range of brands continue to have with developers and owners alike. Our Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites design package and the Sleep Inn Designed to Dream redesign program in particular are resonating with developers and franchisees, and our Ascend Hotel Collection is bringing in great hotels in first-rate markets,” said David Pepper, Senior Vice President of Global Development for Choice Hotels. “We are pleased to see access to financing improve and, along with pent-up demand to build, we’re seeing more transactions across the board.”
Select properties that opened during this year’s third quarter include:
The National Hotel & Suites, an Ascend Hotel Collection property – Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The new 328-room National Hotel & Suites property is perfect for business and leisure travelers. Located in the downtown core of Ottawa, the hotel is minutes from Parliament Hill and Sparks Street Pedestrian Mall, and is within walking distance of several popular area attractions, museums, shopping, restaurants and paved bike paths. Guests can dine or grab a drink in one of the many on-site locations. The hotel’s amenities include interior corridors, a business center with 13,000-square-feet of meeting space, Ottawa's only downtown waterslide, a saltwater pool, and a fitness center. All spacious guest rooms offer free wireless high-speed Internet access, cable television, a coffee maker, hair dryer, alarm clock, iron and ironing board. Some rooms feature a wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, sofa sleeper and balcony.
Comfort Suites – Weston, Fla.
This newly-remodeled, non-smoking Comfort Suites hotel features the Comfort family of brands’ new warm and inviting design elements as well as conveniences for the business and leisure traveler. An adjacent plaza offers restaurants, car rentals, a hair salon and shops. Minutes from the Cleveland Clinic and Sawgrass Mills mall, this 128-room hotel offers a relaxing outdoor heated pool, and a fitness center. Guests also can get work done in the business center. The hotel offers a free signature Your Morning Breakfast with delicious hot-food options, healthy fare and the Comfort brands’ famous flavored waffles. All spacious guest suites offer a television with cable, wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, alarm clock, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. This is a pet-friendly hotel, with four-legged friends allowed to stay for a fee.
Quality Inn – Stroudsburg, Penn.
This newly-constructed Quality Inn hotel is located in the heart of the scenic Pocono Mountains and is within walking distance from the downtown area, which features an array of boutiques, restaurants, nightclubs and historic sites. Guests who stay at this 134-room hotel can enjoy nearby activities like horseback riding, golfing, canoeing, rafting, hiking and shopping. The hotel offers a unique tropical atrium, indoor heated pool and a fitness center with a sauna. Ideal for both leisure and business travelers, meeting and banquet rooms can accommodate up to 200 people with ample breakout and boardrooms. All guest rooms include spacious desks, hair dryers, irons, ironing boards, voice mail and expanded cable television with movie channels. For that special occasion, whirlpool rooms with balconies are featured. Rooms with indoor balconies overlooking the atrium also are available.
Sleep Inn & Suites – Bismarck, N.D.
This brand new Designed to Dream Sleep Inn & Suites property features the brand’s stylish new look which promotes rest and relaxation. The lobby design features contemporary natural finishes, unique lighting and graphic accent walls. Spacious guestrooms also showcase the design’s modern feel with sleek yet serene furniture and bedding, and spa-like baths with frameless glass showers. Located off of Interstate 94 in the heart of the rapidly growing north side of Bismarck, this non-smoking hotel offers easy access to many area attractions. The hotel also features comfortable interior corridors, an indoor heated pool, a spa, as well as a guest laundry and fitness room. Guests of Sleep Inn can also enjoy a free hot breakfast, free high-speed Internet access and a free daily newspaper. All guest rooms have a microwave, refrigerator, flat-screen, high-definition television, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, ironing board and large desk with ergonomic chair. Some rooms feature a sofa sleeper.
Clarion Inn – Seekonk, Maine
Guests of this non-smoking, pet-friendly Clarion Inn hotel will appreciate comfortable interior corridors, an indoor heated pool, and an on-site relaxing picnic area to enjoy a meal and experience the area’s beautiful surroundings. For added convenience, there is an on-site restaurant, as well as five meeting rooms that can accommodate 250 people for banquets and 300 for conferences. Other amenities include a free hot breakfast, free wireless high-speed Internet, a free daily newspaper, and a 24-hour Business Center. All guest rooms offer high-definition cable television, a desk, hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. Some rooms feature a wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, pillow-top mattress, sofa sleeper and whirlpool.
In addition to these franchised hotels, Choice also introduced the follow hotels during the quarter:
- 9 new Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Comfort Inn & Suites, and Comfort Hotel brand hotels in Les Mureaux, France; Vilnius, Lithuania;Toronto, Canada; Marion, Ill.; Bangor, Maine; Thomasville, N.C.; Bairnsdale, Australia; Mandeville, La.; and Fort Worth, Texas.
- 23 new Quality Inn, Quality Inn & Suites, Quality Suites, and Quality Hotel brand hotels in Marseille, France; Napa, Calif.; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Kewanee, Ill.; Lewisport, Ky.; Guadalupe, Mexico; Chapel Hill, N.C.; Lincoln City, Ore.; Fort City, Texas; Hampton, Va.;Mosinee, Wis.; Danville, Penn.; Tucson, Ariz.; Sacramento, Calif.; Missoula, Mont.; Minden, Nev.; Mason, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio;Sherman, Texas; Lodi, Wis.; Kimberly, Wis.; Auckland, New Zealand; and Houston, Texas.
- Two additional new Sleep Inn & Suites brand hotels in Mount Olive, N.C.; and Harrisburg, Penn.
- Three new Clarion Inn, Clarion Inn & Suites and Clarion Collection brand properties in Auckland, New Zealand; Cully, Switzerland; andHampton, Va.
- One new extended stay property -- a Suburban Extended Stay hotel in Morgantown, W. Va.
- 13 new Econo Lodge and Econo Lodge Inn & Suites brand hotels in Albury, Australia; Armidale, Australia; Winnipeg, Canada, Vernon, Canada, Jacksonville, Fla.; Decatur, Ga.; Malone, N.Y.; Auckland, New Zealand; North Charleston, S.C.; Lubbock; Texas, Conroe, Texas; Pinetop, Ariz.; and Hot Springs, Ark.
- 16 new Rodeway Inn and Rodeway Inn & Suites brand hotels in Phoenix, Ariz.; Tucson, Ariz.; Flagstaff, Ariz.; Vallejo, Calif.; Sonora, Calif.; Crestview, Fla.; Charlotte, N.C.; Waynesville, N.C.; Bedford, Penn.; Lawrenceburg, Tenn.; Bellows Falls, Vt.; Gillette, Wyo.;Laramie, Wyo.; La Grange, Ill.; Fenton, Mo.; and Hampton, Va.
- Four Ascend Hotel Collection properties in Boston, Mass.; Gettysburg, Penn.; Flushing, N.Y.; and New Orleans, La.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.