TripAdvisor today announced the results of its annual Labor Day and fall travel survey of more than 1,200 U.S. respondents, revealing 33 percent of consumers are planning Labor Day trips, a six percent jump compared to last year’s holiday weekend (27 percent). What’s more, consumers are also packing to go on their autumn getaways soon, with 86 percent planning fall travel in 2013 – nearly equal to 85 percent that planned to travel last year.
Leaving for Labor Day
- Driving is the most popular mode of transportation (63 percent) this Labor Day, while 30 percent will take to the skies.
- Of those traveling for the holiday weekend, 42 percent plan to visit family and friends. Twenty-five percent are trekking to the great outdoors, 24 percent will make a beeline for the ocean, and 20 percent will go on a city escape.
- New York City is the most popular destination among those traveling for Labor Day this year, followed by Denver, Seattle, Philadelphia and Boston.
The main motivators for travel this autumn are fewer crowds (22 percent) and a more pleasant climate (19 percent). Additionally, 32 percent of travelers plan to spend more on their fall leisure trip in 2013, while 57 percent expect to spend about the same as last year.
“Fall is the perfect time to get away, giving travelers the opportunity to enjoy milder weather, smaller crowds and lower prices,” said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications at TripAdvisor.
- More than one-quarter (27 percent) of respondents will take three or more trips this fall.
- 56 percent of fall travelers will take a vacation lasting a week or longer.
- 52 percent book their fall vacation three or more months in advance.
- 43 percent of travelers will enjoy a romantic getaway with a loved one this fall and 38 percent will travel with family.
- 42 percent are planning to visit a repeat destination, while 20 percent will venture out to discover a new locale.
- 42 percent of fall leisure travelers will enjoy a city trip and 34 percent plan to head to the beach.
- 74 percent are planning a hotel stay, 28 percent will stay with family and friends and 22 percent will rent a vacation rental home.
- View colorful fall foliage – 44%
- Go wine tasting / visit a vineyard – 29%
- Go to a food festival – 22%
- Attend a football game / collegiate homecoming – 18%
- Go to a state / county fair or fall festival – 18%
- When it comes to fall treats, pumpkin pie is a favorite for 18 percent of respondents, while 14 percent will opt for a slice of apple pie.
- Apple cider is the fall beverage of choice (29 percent) followed by hot chocolate (11 percent).
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.