The Middle East/Africa region reported mixed performance results during July 2013 when reported in U.S. dollars, according to data compiled by STR Global.
The region reported a 13.5-percent decrease in occupancy to 49.0 percent, a 5.6-percent increase in average daily rate to US$147.82 and an 8.6-percent decrease in revenue per available room to US$72.37.
Highlights among the region’s key markets for July 2013 include (year-over-year comparisons, all currency in U.S. dollars):
- Doha, Qatar (+9.5 percent to 48.2 percent), and Nairobi, Kenya (+0.8 percent to 65.1 percent), reported the only occupancy increases for the month.
- Cairo, Egypt, fell 60.1 percent in occupancy to 16.6 percent, posting the largest decrease in that metric.
- Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, rose 13.0 percent in ADR to US$258.81, achieving the only double-digit increase in that metric.
- Beirut, Lebanon (-20.2 percent to US$157.03), and Sandton, South Africa, and the surrounding areas (-11.0 percent to US$110.37), reported the only double-digit ADR decreases.
- Jeddah (+6.3 percent to US$203.68) and Doha (+2.5 percent to US$83.96) experienced the only RevPAR increases in July.
- Cairo fell 62.0 percent in RevPAR to US$16.68, reporting the largest decrease in that metric, followed by Beirut with a 43.5-percent decrease to US$60.73.
Download Global Performance review
About STR Global:
STR Global provides clients-including hotel operators, developers, financiers, analysts and suppliers to the hotel industry-access to hotel research with regular and custom reports covering Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia/Pacific and South America. STR Global provides a single source of global hotel data covering daily and monthly performance data, segmentation data, forecasts, annual profitability, pipeline and census information. Hotel operators can join the surveys on a complimentary basis and benefit from free industry data. STR Global is part of the STR family of companies and is proudly associated with STR, RRC Associates, STR Analytics and HotelNewsNow.com. For more information, please visit www.strglobal.com.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.