IHG® plc. (InterContinental Hotels Group) has today announced a series of new Corporate Responsibility (CR) targets for 2013-2017. Responsible Business is part of the foundation of IHG. It is about doing the right things, in the right way and thinking longer term for the mutual benefit of IHG and its stakeholders. The new targets will continue to focus on driving impact through IHG’s three core CR Programmes - IHG Green Engage®, IHG® Shelter in a Storm Programme and IHG® Academy and will see IHG track and report supply chain diversity and integrate CR criteria into the selection and evaluation process for all preferred suppliers. IHG has also today published an update on progress made against previous targets, as well as its 2010-2012 carbon footprint results.
IHG Green Engage is an easy-to-use online system that helps us manage and minimise our impact on the environment by tracking the use of energy, carbon and water and the management of waste in our properties along with the associated costs. A key feature of IHG Green Engage is over 200 Green Solutions which our hotels can implement to reduce their environmental impact and achieve energy savings of up to 25%.
- 2,5541 hotels are now signed up to IHG Green Engage; circa 50% of our estate
- Exceeded three-year target (2010-2012)2 to reduce energy per available room by between 6 and 10% in managed and owned estate with a reduction of 11.7%
- Reduced carbon footprint across our global estate by 11.7% per occupied room over a two-year period (2011 and 2012)3
- Launched a carbon calculator based on the Hotel Carbon Measurement Initiative (HCMI) methodology and updated Green Solutions with comprehensive implementation guides
- Reduce carbon footprint per occupied room by 12%
- Reduce water use per occupied room in water-stressed areas by 12%
The IHG Academy is a global partnership programme between IHG hotels and either a local community or education organisation that provides local people with skills development and employment opportunities at IHG.
- Expanded the IHG Academy to over 250 programmes globally to date
- Launched the IHG Academy website, which includes an IHG Academy toolkit
- Awarded the Business in the Community Work Inspiration Impact Award in 2013
- Over 10,000 people have benefitted from the IHG Academy since it was established in 2006
- Provide skills and improved employability to 20,000 people via IHG Academy
The IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme helps our hotels support guests, colleagues and local communities in times of disaster with financial support, vital supplies and accommodation. A core part of the programme is the IHG® Shelter Fund made up of hotel and corporate employee fundraising. It means we have the resources to help those impacted right away. We also provide our hotels with guidance on when and how best to respond when disasters occur.
- Raised $545,000 for IHG Shelter Fund (target of $150,000) in 2012
- Responded to 10 disasters across six countries, providing $240,000 in disaster relief funding in 2012
- Hotels and corporate offices held a total of 198 fundraising events, including a global ‘IHG® Race Around The World’ event to support the IHG Shelter Fund
- Launched the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme website, which enables online donations
- Contribute a total of $10 million to communities through monetary donations and in-kind support including funds deployed through the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme.
Richard Solomons, Chief Executive of IHG commented: “Being a Responsible Business is part of IHG’s DNA. It is at the heart of everything we do. Our three flagship Corporate Responsibility initiatives – IHG Green Engage, IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme and IHG Academy – continue to go from strength to strength. We are very proud of what we've achieved so far, but there is always more to be done. These targets are a clear signal of our commitment to doing business responsibly and to creating shared value for IHG, our owners, the environment and the local community.”
1 As at 9 September 2013
2 Against a 2009 baseline
3 Against a 2010 baseline
4 2013-2017 targets includes all owned, managed and franchised hotels on IHG Green Engage
5 Week commencing 23 September, 2013
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.