The Middle East/Africa region reported positive performance results during January 2014 when reported in U.S. dollars, according to data compiled by STR Global.
The region reported a 3.3-percent increase in occupancy to 62.0 percent, a 4.8-percent increase in average daily rate to US$187.15 and an 8.2-percent increase in revenue per available room to US$115.96.
“The total region started 2014 off well”, said Elizabeth Winkle, managing director of STR Global. “All three key performance metrics were positive, driven by performance in the Middle East. Oman and Saudi Arabia showed positive occupancy, while the United Arab Emirates continued to report positive rate growth. There is still instability in the region, but overall there are signs of improvement. Jordan is now showing some performance growth”.
Highlights among the Middle East/Africa region’s key markets for January 2014 include (year-over-year comparisons, all currency in U.S. dollars):
- Four markets reported double-digit occupancy increases: Amman, Jordan (+19.2 percent to 54.5 percent); Doha, Qatar (+17.1 percent to 75.1 percent); Cape Town, South Africa (+13.3 percent to 73.0 percent); and Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (+12.8 percent to 73.4 percent).
- Nairobi, Kenya, fell 25.0 percent to 42.6 percent in occupancy, reporting the largest decrease in that metric.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates, achieved the only double-digit ADR growth, rising 12.8 percent to US$308.64.
- Sandton, South Africa, and the surrounding areas fell 16.3 percent to US$98.68 in ADR, posting the largest decrease in that metric.
- Amman rose 21.1 percent to US$88.41 in RevPAR, experiencing the largest increase in that metric. Abu Dhabi followed with a 15.6-percent increase to US$112.97.
- Beirut, Lebanon (-26.2 percent to US$53.04) and Cairo, Egypt (-25.6 percent to US$33.61), reported the largest RevPAR decreases.
*percentages are increases/decreases for January 2014 versus January 2013
About STR Global:
STR Global provides clients-including hotel operators, developers, financiers, analysts and suppliers to the hotel industry-access to hotel research with regular and custom reports covering Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia/Pacific and South America. STR Global provides a single source of global hotel data covering daily and monthly performance data, segmentation data, forecasts, annual profitability, pipeline and census information. Hotel operators can join the surveys on a complimentary basis and benefit from free industry data. STR Global is part of the STR family of companies and is proudly associated with STR, RRC Associates, STR Analytics and HotelNewsNow.com. For more information, please visit www.strglobal.com.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.