TripAdvisor announced the results of its family travel survey of more than 2,700 U.S. respondents revealing that 92 percent plan to travel with family this year, up from 85 percent who did so last year. Of those taking family trips, 55 percent will travel with their spouse and children, and 20 percent will travel with extended family.
When asked the types of accommodations they plan to stay at for their family trips, the majority of U.S. respondents (71%) plan to stay at a hotel, 41 percent will enjoy the comforts of a vacation rental, and 20 percent will stay at the home of family or friends.
Top 10 Travelers’ Choice Hotels for Families in the U.S.:
- Floridays Resort Orlando, Orlando, Florida
- Woodloch Pines Resort, Hawley, Pennsylvania
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Orlando, Florida
- Candy Cane Inn, Anaheim, California
- Red Jacket Mountain View Resort, North Conway, New Hampshire
- Best Western Premier Saratoga Resort Villas, Kissimmee, Florida
- Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, Highland, New York
- West Inn & Suites Carlsbad, Carlsbad, California
- Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, Anaheim, California
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando, Florida
- Complimentary breakfast
- Close proximity to local attractions
- Free Wi-Fi
- Swimming pool
- Room service
The most popular season for family trips is summer as 78 percent of respondents plan to travel between June and August, with July being the most popular month at 30 percent. Sixty-six percent of family travelers will soak up the sun at the beach / ocean, while 46 percent will visit the city and 33 percent will make their way to a national park.
Taking Time Out
Eighty-five percent of U.S. respondents admit they take time to “escape” family during their trip. The most popular activities for those who escape are reading (53%), walking (45%), and napping (32%).
Family trips can sometimes test patience. The top annoyances when it comes to family getaways:
- Lugging extra gear
- Not enough quiet time for parents
- Keeping children occupied in the car
When traveling with loved ones, U.S. respondents said they most identify with “The Griswolds” from the National Lampoons series, followed by Modern Family’s “The Pritchetts,” and “The Tanners” from the 1990s TV series “Full House.”
“With family trips on the rise in 2014, the TripAdvisor community has identified some fantastic hotels for families,” said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications for TripAdvisor. “From the mountains of New Hampshire to coastal California, these properties will provide memorable stays for parents and children alike.”
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.