Hilton Worldwide yesterday announced it is approaching the 100 hotel milestone in Canada with the upcoming opening of a dual-branded Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia property, owned by Canada-based SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts. Six of Hilton Worldwide's brands currently have properties in Canada, with Home2Suites by Hilton debuting in the market later this year.
The dual-branded Homewood Suites by Hilton and Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown located at 1960 Brunswick Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, will reflect signature amenities of both brands, while offering guests several combined public spaces, including a shared conference center, fitness center, retail space and parking. Credit: Hilton Worldwide.
The first hotel within the project, the 135-room Homewood Suites Halifax-Downtown, is slated to open in mid-May, while the 181-room Hampton Inn by Hilton will follow with an opening in June.
Ian Carter, president - global development, Hilton Worldwide, said, "This milestone solidifies our commitment to growing our portfolio of brands in Canada and highlights the lodging sector's momentous growth in this country. It's also been an ongoing effort of ours to explore development opportunities and deepen our roots in Canada by welcoming additional Hilton Worldwide properties in key cities across the country, much like this project in Halifax."
Hilton Worldwide's rich legacy in Canada dates back to the opening of its first hotel, the 419 room Hilton Suites Toronto Airport, Ontario, in 1971. Today, the global hospitality company operates hotels coast-to-coast in urban and suburban markets, supplying nearly 16,000 rooms across six brands: Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton Embassy Suites Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Hotels and Homewood Suites by Hilton. Additionally, the country's first Home2 Suites by Hilton is set to open in July of 2014 in West Edmonton.
"Canada is a strategic market for Hilton Worldwide as it continues to attract a significant number of both domestic travelers and international visitors," added Carter. "With the uptick of international travelers visiting Canada for both business and leisure travel, we are focused on developing best-in-class hotels across the country with great partners like SilverBirch."
With more than 40 hotels currently in the development pipeline and nearly 40 percent of those under construction, Hilton Worldwide will further bolster Canada's tourism industry with the following upcoming openings:
- Dual-branded project from SilverBirch, a DoubleTree by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton in West Edmonton, Alberta. The 127-suite Home2 Suites by Hilton is set to open in July of this year and represents the brand's first hotel in Canada. It will join the recently opened 235-guestroom DoubleTree by Hilton which opened in January.
- Hilton Calgary Airport, to open in 2017, will complete the company's first multi-flag complex featuring three brands, joining the recently opened Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton, owned by Prestige Hospitality.
- Hampton Inn by Hilton Saskatoon South Saskatchewan, owned and operated by VJ Management, is a 100-room hotel set to open in June 2014.
- Hampton Inn and Suites Markham, owned and operated by JM Hospitality, Inc., features 99 rooms and is set to open July 2014. The hotel will be adjacent to JM Hospitality's current 101-suite Homewood Suites by Hilton, which opened in 2007.
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Saskatoon Airport, owned by Randhawa Group, will open in Nov. 2014 and feature 132 rooms.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Ajax, Ontario, featuring 104 suites is slated to open in May 2014 and is owned by Wella Investments Inc.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Waterloo/St. Jacobs, Ontario, featuring 97 suites is scheduled to open in June 2014 and is owned by Benjamin Hotel Inc.
Additionally, Canada has seen several key openings for Hilton Worldwide, including the recently opened 486-room DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Downtown, owned and operated by Ontario-based Bayview Hospitality Inc.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.