Super 8 by Wyndham today announced a dream opportunity for young, aspiring designers with the launch of its first-ever ROOM8 Design Challenge. Centered on re-imagining a traditional hotel suite, the challenge looks to bring a fresh perspective to shared hotel accommodations and invites creative applicants to submit original design renderings for what will eventually become the brand's new ROOM8 (pronounced roommate) room concept.
The winning candidate will have the opportunity to refine and evolve their initial design alongside interior designer and TV personality Alison Victoria and will receive a $10,000 design fee upon successful completion of the project. The final concept will then be brought to life with a commercial-grade assortment from Wayfair Professional, Wayfair's specialized program for business customers, before being piloted at select Super 8 hotels across the U.S. and Canada.
Available now through July 20, 2019, applicants can visit www.super8.com/ROOM8 to learn more and submit their formal application. The challenge is open to all aspiring designers, with experts in co-livingcollege students, graduates and urbaniteshighly encouraged to apply.
"Super 8 is known for being travelers' companion on the road and that's a role we take very seriously," said Mike Mueller, Super 8 brand leader and senior vice president. "Our research shows a rising group of guests who need the reliability, affordability and accessibility of a trusted hotel brand but want a space different from that of a traditional hotel room or suite. From millennials road tripping with a group of their friends to construction workers sharing a room with members of their crew, ROOM8 tackles this need head-on, allowing guests to share a room and socialize without forcing them to compromise on having their own personal space, including their own bed."
"We're giving aspiring designers a chance to try their hand at flipping Super 8 hotel suites across the country into modern co-living spaces for a new generation of road trippers," said Alison Victoria, interior designer and TV personality. "This project is an exciting opportunity to incorporate the hottest global movement in travel to an iconic American brand through smart design. Our winning candidate will bring to the table a practical, space-optimizing concept that aligns seamlessly with Super 8's newly elevated look and feel."
Once selected, the winning designer will participate in a series of virtual consultations with Alison Victoria and Super 8, followed by a trip to New York City to meet Alison and unveil the final, evolved design. The creation of ROOM8 comes on the heels of the completion of the largest redesign in Super 8 brand history, a multi-year effort during which the brand's hotels across the U.S. and Canada invested more than $100 million into room renovations, elevating the Super 8 guest experience.
Design and Rendering Requirements
- Must be of a jaw-dropping, creative quality
- Must be for a room of approximately 23' 10" (L) x 16' (W) x 7' 6" (H)
- Must include a minimum of three angles, including one top down view of the space
- Must seamlessly align with Super 8's $100 million room refresh, pulling through key colors and aesthetics, including the brand's signature, hyper-local, black and white art
- Must accommodate four or more guests, with individual sleeping accommodations for each guest
- Must include social space allowing for guest interaction and should include a large TV (ideally also visible from beds) and unique, unexpected elements that encourage socialization (e.g. foosball table, classic video games, board and card games, etc.)
- Must include an apartment size fridge/microwave, multiple outlets, telephone and storage for clothes/luggage
- Must leverage elements from the current Super 8 room design or those available via Wayfair at www.wayfair.com
- Approximate cost for furnishing the full room should not exceed $5,000
- A bright, creative mind with an eye for design
- Must be 18 years or older to apply
- Must be a resident of the U.S. or Canada (excluding Quebec) with valid identification
- Ability to travel domestically in September 2019 to meet designer Alison Victoria
- $10,000 design fee upon successful completion of the project
- Mentorship from designer Alison Victoria
- Trip to NYC to meet designer Alison Victor (hotel, economy air, transportation and meals)
- Wyndham Rewards® Diamond membership
- Glowing reference from a Super 8 by Wyndham executive
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.