Many travellers revel in opening their hotel room door and taking in all the wonderful amenities - a plush robe, gourmet coffee, luxury bedding - that make the room feel like home, or even better. However, 35 per cent of global travellers take it one step further and take these amenities to their home according to a recent survey by leading online accommodation booking service Hotels.com®.
While a majority of hotel guests globally (65 per cent) say they've never pilfered an item from a hotel room - except toiletries, everyone takes those - Danish travellers come out on top as exceptionally honest with 88 per cent saying they've never pocketed a hotel amenity. Quebecers weren't too far behind with 81 per cent; however English Canada wasn't quite as honest as their French counterparts at 70 per cent. Here's how the rest of the countries surveyed rank… assuming the respondents were honest about their own sticky finger tendencies!
|The Habits of Sticky-Fingered Global Travellers|
|Rank (by honesty)||Country||Per cent that have never
pocketed hotel property
|Most commonly taken item|
|22||Canada (excluding Quebec)||70||Magazines/books|
|China||66||Furnishings (lamp, clock, artwork)|
While more than a third of global travellers have stolen hotel amenities, there are a few niceties that guest arewilling to pay for: a room with a view (29 per cent) and a balcony (17 per cent) came out on top.
The Hotels.com Favourite Hotel Amenities Survey also revealed that free Wi-Fi is king when it comes to must-have hotel amenities.
- 34 percent say free Wi-Fi is the number one factor in choosing a hotel even on leisure stays.
- 56 percent of respondents said free Wi-Fi is their number one must-have when travelling for business.
- 66 percent indicated free Wi-Fi is the amenity they most wish would become standard at all hotels in 2013.
Creature comforts of home and food are also high on the priority list for travellers:
- 23 percent chose high-end coffee makers as their top modern in hotel room amenity.
- 43 percent said complimentary bottled water is the most appreciated simple amenity.
- Happy hours, wine tastings or any other time with free food and drinks is 42 percent of global travellers' favourite newly offered hotel service amenity.
- 23 percent cite unlimited free food and beverages as their most missed comfort from home when travelling.
Hotels.com makes it easy for travellers to find and book the perfect home away from home with theme/type and amenities filters.
The survey was conducted in January 2013, using a weighted average based on a sample size of more than 8,600 respondents across 28 countries/cities: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK, USA.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.