Amadeus announced it will host its first hackathon in North America, Amadeus HACK@1050, to provide developers and visionaries with an opportunity to develop innovative ideas that will help propel the travel industry forward.
Amadeus HACK@1050 will be held November 7-9 at Amadeus’ new Research & Development center in Waltham, Massachusetts, and is a free three-day event open to college students, professionals and hackers.
“As a leading technology partner and R&D innovator to the travel industry worldwide, we are excited to be hosting our first hackathon for students and developers in the Boston community,” said Mary Keagul, Amadeus’ head of Research and Development for the Americas region. “At Amadeus, we are always pursuing new approaches in the travel industry and driving innovation forward. By providing students and professionals with the opportunity to address the challenges and opportunities in this ever-changing industry, we hope to foster and showcase how dynamic ideas can ultimately shape the future for the travel industry and travelers alike.”
With a total of over $30,000 in cash prizes at stake, participants will work in teams of three to five people toward solving one of four travel industry challenges which will be revealed to them a week prior to the hackathon.
Keagul added that veteran travel technologists, developers and software experts from Amadeus’ Boston-area R&D team will be on hand to provide expert guidance to the participants, who will also be using Amadeus technology tools and travel content during the hack.
Hacks will be judged on the following criteria in priority order:
- Innovation, creativity and originality
- Challenge and business value focus
- Technical difficulty
- Quality of user experience
- Presentation quality and skills
- Camaraderie and teamwork
- Dr. Murray Mazer, head of Innovation and Research, Amadeus
- Giorgos Zacharia, Chief Technology Officer, KAYAK
- Valyn Perini, Vice President, Strategic Relationships, Nor1
- Entrepreneurial Winner – One winning team will be awarded $4,000 and the opportunity to incubate their idea with Amadeus’ R&D team.
- 1st Place Challenge Winners - For each of the four challenges, each of the 1st place winning teams will win $4,000.
- 2nd Place Challenge Winners – For each of the four challenges, each of the 2nd Place winning teams will win $2,000.
- Crowd Favorite Winner – One winning team will win $2,000 based on a vote of all participants.
- A $50.00 Gift Card will be awarded to each college student that registers for the Contest and identifies a team.
Participants can register as a team or as individuals who can organize a team when onsite. To register for Amadeus HACK@1050, click here. For more information about the event, click here.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.