Beyond just managing your guests expectations, its important to think about what you can do to exceed them. Our eBook, The Hoteliers Handbook to Managing Guest Expectations, is full of expert advice and best practices for impressing hotel guests. Here we highlight three ways to impress guests and create repeat, loyal customers:
1. Know your guests
The more you know about your guests, the better you can tailor their experience to whats important to them. Families will have different wants and expectations from Honeymooners, who have different wants and expectations from business travelers.
Here are some tips for finding out more about who is staying with you:
- Monitoring your social media mentions is good way to know, broadly, who your guests are and the reason for their stay. You can see some great interactions by checking out @HyattConcierge on Twitter:
Survey your guests before they even stay with you. This allows you to get to know them.
- Include a special request box in your online booking form if you dont already have one. This can provide more insight that can be used to tailor your guests stay.
- Insights Sojerns clients get free insights into audience demographics. These insights give you a deeper view into what types of travelers are showing intent to visit your property and destination, top markets, travel patterns, and more.
2. Personalize their experience
Creating a more personalized guest stay can work wonders in building loyalty and repeat business.
A great example of personalization comes from Siew Hoon Yeoh at WIT, who arrived at the Old Clare Hotel in Sydney to find a framed photo of David Bowie on her nightstand. A huge Bowie fan, Siew Hoon had written about the late icon on her social media. The hotel took note of this, and provided the thoughtful gesture.
You may not have the time or resources to personalize at this level of detail for all your guests, but you can create a more bespoke experience for your guests in other ways, including:
- Complimentary WiFi, so guests can feel connected when they are away from home
- Customized check-in and check-out times
- Access to local travel guides in their native language
3. Drive direct bookings
In order to provide an excellent experience to guests, you need to set and manage their expectations from the outset. The best way to do that is engaging with them directly, which means driving them to book on your website.
Further, if you know your audience and have their informationbecause theyve booked directyou can upsell them. Upselling guests isnt just great for your bottom line, it can really make the guest experience. Having an amazing spa or outstanding breakfasteven it if its an add oncan turn a nice stay into a spectacular one.
Creating incredible experiences for your guests isnt impossible, and many of the tools to help you deliver them are right under your nose. Want more examples of great ways to impress your guests? Our newest eBook is packed with more inspiration to get you on your way.
Ashley is Sojern's Marketing Manager, EMEA & APAC and works in the London office. Originally from Canada, she's been living in London for over four years, and is actively trying to fill all the pages in her passport. She has never met a cheese she didn't like.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.