- Morocco performance driven by FIA Formula E Championship race and Marrakech Marathon
- Nigeria’s occupancy rises even with security concerns in the country
- Saudi Arabia demand increase driven by school holiday
Hotels in the Middle East reported mixed January 2018 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted growth across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, January 2018 vs. January 2017
- Occupancy: +1.9% to 69.1%
- Average daily rate (ADR): -3.4% to US$170.28
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -1.6% to US$117.75
- Occupancy: +5.7% to 53.4%
- Average daily rate (ADR): +2.6% to US$126.55
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +8.4% to US$67.54
Local currency, January 2018 vs. January 2017
- Occupancy: +16.3% to 54.1%
- ADR: +28.5% to MAD129.16
- RevPAR: +49.5% to MAD69.90
The year-over-year increase in RevPAR was the first for a January in Morocco since 2014. STR analysts attribute a spike in demand (+16.1%) to the FIA Formula E Championship race in Marrakech as well as Marrakech Marathon.
- Occupancy: +8.6% to 41.4%
- ADR: -11.2% to NGN136.09
- RevPAR: -3.6% to NGN56.38
STR analysts note that Nigeria’s hotel industry continues to be affected by a poor reputation around security concerns in the country. Regardless, the 8.6% year-over-year lift in occupancy was the country’s highest for any January since 2013.
- Occupancy: +6.4% to 59.5%
- ADR: -5.2% to SAR566.34
- RevPAR: +0.9% to SAR336.70
The January school holiday, which fell primarily in February last year, pushed a 16.4% rise in demand. Both occupancy and ADR levels continue to be pressured by supply growth, which rose to 9.3% for the month. As STR reported last week, Saudi Arabia’s hotel development pipeline represents 76% of the existing room supply in the country. However, STR analysts stress the importance of considering the long-term investments being made in tourism and hospitality as part of Vision 2030.
STR provides clients from multiple market sectors with premium, global data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 10 countries around the world with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and an international headquarters in London, England. For more information, please visit str.com.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.